Vail Daily letter: Why we canceled game
September 26, 2016
On behalf of the staff at Eagle Valley High School, I would like to respond to the letter from Mr. Gallagher regarding "Powderpuff" football, which appeared in the Vail Daily on Friday (Letters to the Editor). To clarify, we decided to cancel Powderpuff as a homecoming activity because, in our professional opinion, the game had become fundamentally unsafe and did not create a positive learning experience for our students.
Part of these issues related to rough play, potentially leading to injuries like concussions, which have increased. These dangers have been compounded by limited practice and opportunity to learn appropriate and safe technique. Despite our best efforts every year to reteach and redirect in the moment, the game would include unnecessary hitting and tackling.
Also, the culture of the event brought out negative attitudes. Students and fans had become increasingly aggressive toward each other and toward the volunteer staff working to supervise the event. This negative behavior is not what we wish to associate with what should be a unifying event for EVHS. Regrettably, we felt that ending the event was the surest way to begin the cultural change necessary.
In addition, there has been some insinuation that the event was canceled because of difficulty in accommodating transgender students who wanted to participate. This is categorically false. If we have students who wish to participate in any activity, we will work to make that opportunity available to them. Eagle Valley High School is a place where every student is welcome and safe.
Finally, we understand that an independent event is being organized and played in a couple of weeks and we wish the organizers and participants the best in their efforts.
Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to respond. Our goal is always to provide a safe and quality environment where every student can thrive and succeed. We have a week of great events surrounding Homecoming and hope that everyone who wants to attend in the community will take advantage.
Recommended Stories For You
• Today: Softball Homecoming Game at 4 p.m.
• Wednesday: Parade at 5 p.m. at Valley Road
• Wednesday: Devil's Chili Cook Off at 6 p.m. in the Cafeteria
• Wednesday: Bonfire at Dusk (next to Kum & Go/Ridley's)
• Thursday: Soccer Homecoming Game at 6 p.m.
• Friday: Football Tailgate at 5 p.m.
• Friday: Football Homecoming Game at 7 p.m.
• Saturday: Homecoming Dance from 8-11 p.m.
Principal, Eagle Valley High School
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Vail Pass Rest Area death ruled a suicide
- Dead body found at Vail Pass rest area
- Does cannabis cost, or pay? CCU study claims marijuana costs $4.50 for every $1 it generates
- Vail Resorts has sold about 925,000 passes of all kinds for this ski season
- Cordillera property owners lose again; fourth loss in five courtrooms trying to stop luxury rehab, wellness center