Vail Daily letter: ‘Yes’ on 3B
October 6, 2016
Another school shooting this past week. Tragic. Heartbreaking. Terrifying. With each one I feel so very sad, and sadly grateful it hasn't happened here. It could. For a while I thought, "Oh no, this valley is protected. We're safe." Really? Safe from what? Mental illness? People filled with rage and hate? Show me that place and I'll go.
In the meantime, there's the reality of the world we live in today, and that reality means making schools safe for our kids and our teachers is a necessity. We've been lucky. We may never need the improved safety and security measures 3B will provide, but this is insurance I'm willing to pay for, and if it's never needed, so much the better.
With this bond, we'll each pay about $1.44 per month for every $100,000 of property value. So if your home is worth $500,000, your share of the bond payment would be about $7.20 per month. My son graduates in May, but I'm willing to pay this forward to give all students and teachers a safe place to learn. Please vote "yes" on 3B. These funds go toward making schools safer in our valley.
Tara van Dernoot
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area COO Henceroth chimes in on Opening Day
- “Kavanaugh, get used to it”: Breckenridge bartender gets stiffed — with a message
- Colorado ski season kicks off at Wolf Creek Ski Area
- Feeling trolled, Breckenridge residents want popular, wooden sculpture removed
- In Avon, a controversial move will be discussed in building which was the subject of a controversial move