No need for a sales tax; a ski lift would increase property tax in Eagle-Vail (letter)
March 13, 2018
To the editor: The letters regarding the sales tax in Eagle-Vail and putting in a ski lift made sense. But one major factor left out is the economics: If a ski lift is put in, property values will immediately increase in Eagle-Vail. The property tax base will increase accordingly. That is a lot of additional revenue. A sales tax is not even needed to fund the lift.
In my experience, any new taxes without a very specific purpose just go to increasing the bureaucracy and government employee salaries and benefits.
Trending In: Opinion
- I-70 closed in Glenwood Canyon after fatality in traffic incident
- Police investigating car vs. pedestrian fatality on I-70 in Glenwood
- Vail’s Mikaela Shiffrin four-peats in worlds slalom
- Avalanche advisory issued for Vail, Summit County through Presidents Day weekend
- Father of snowboarder who died at Snowmass: ‘He was just one of those good guys’