Stan Friedberg also oldest skier to helicopter ski with CADS (letter)
April 20, 2018
Dear editor: I write to congratulate Stan Friedberg for his helicopter skiing accomplishment, which will probably set a Guinness Book world record. At 91, he became the oldest helicopter skier ever, eclipsing the prior holder's 88. The Vail Daily told the story on Saturday, April 14 ("Never too old to drop in").
On his trip with the Mike Wiegele operation, Stan set another record. He became the oldest skier to helicopter ski with CADS. Stan has skied exclusively with CADS since acquiring the equipment as a boy of 80, 11 years ago.
Many people have been able to extend their helicopter skiing careers, all over the world, using CADS. As a Vail innovation, we are proud of that.
Another Vail record: the first skier to ever helicopter ski with CADS, going all the way back to the Egyptians, was David Gorsuch. He first took them to the Monashees, skiing with Canadian Mountain Holidays, in 1992.
The Friedberg record could someday be challenged. Unless his is challenged based on the earliest cuneiform, David's will stand.
Recommended Stories For You
CADS USA, Vail
Trending In: Opinion
- Taft Conlin’s parents appealing son’s Vail skier death case, saying judges erred in several rulings before and during trial
- Accused murderer Jacob White scheduled to plead and be sentenced Friday, Sept. 21, in Catherine Kelley case
- Police in the Vail Valley try to offer help to people who are panhandling
- Rancher cries as jury exonerates her
- Brake fire closes Interstate 70 at East Vail, burns landscaping material Monday morning, Sept. 17