Trump Administration’s efforts to roll back Clean Power Plan threaten our future (letter)
September 5, 2018
As college students, my peers and I spend a lot of time thinking about our futures. We work long hours in and outside the classroom because we have a desire to contribute something to the world. Unfortunately, thanks to the Trump Administration's efforts to roll back the Clean Power Plan, the futures that we spend countless hours working toward are under attack.
The administration claims that this rollback would make coal-fired power plants more efficient, but the fact of the matter is this: Even more damaging greenhouse gasses will be released into our atmosphere due to this action. To question the clear, scientifically backed evidence that greenhouse gas emissions are causing climate change is to be woefully and willfully ignorant of our environmental reality.
As a volunteer with the student-led group Defend Our Future, I engage with my peers regularly about the need for climate action. We're ready to make our voices heard with our votes this Nov. 6. It's time to elect leaders who will fight for our future by protecting climate measures like the Clean Power Plan.
Trending In: Opinion
- Eagle County sheriff: Suicide breaking records in Eagle County; help is available (column)
- District Attorney: Felony summons instead of arrest is better path to justice for nonviolent offenders (column)
- Wissot: The two Americas of Texas are analogous of the country as a whole (column)
- Our nation can no longer tolerate hate speech and must instead embrace inclusiveness (letter)
- Treat: Preserve Camp Hale, a sacred space for the 10th Mountain Division and Colorado ski industry (column)
- Vail, Beaver Creek to open early for 2018-19 season
- Forest Service authorizes Golden Peak plan, Vail Mountain’s first expansion since Blue Sky Basin
- Former Denver Broncos quarterback Chad Kelly formally charged with felony trespassing
- Vail’s events funding group praised; 13 new events to be funded in 2019
- Former town of Vail employee charged with soliciting child prostitute in Glenwood Springs