Vail Daily letter: Are we a nation of laws?
February 12, 2017
Has anyone ever heard of the McCarran-Walter Act of 1952?
President Donald Trump suspended immigration from several Muslim countries. The criticism ranged from un-American, dumb, stupid, reckless, dangerous, racist and unconstitutional. The media, congressmen and senators, President Obama, Hillary Clinton all denounced him. But did he only follow existing law?
Yes! As Gomer Pyle would say, "Well, surprise, surprise." It seems that the selective immigration ban is already a law and has been previously applied.
Known as the McCarran-Walter Act, the immigration and Nationality Act of 1952 allows for the "suspension of entry or imposition of restrictions by the president, whenever the president finds that the entry of aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States. The president, by proclamation, and for such a period as he shall deem necessary, may suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or non-immigrants or impose any restrictions on the entry of aliens he may deem to be appropriate."
And who do you suppose last utilized this process? Why, it was Democrat President Jimmy Carter in 1979 to keep Iranians out of the United States. But he actually did more. He made all Iranian students, already in the United States, check in with the government. And then he deported a bunch of them. Seven thousand were found in violation of their visas, and a total of 15,000 were forced to leave the U.S.A. in 1979. Not a whisper of criticism.
So what say you now?
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Was that comment about ‘peasants’ riding the bus intended to be funny? (letter)
- Birds of Prey showed our valley shining in the global spotlight; thanks for your contribution (letter)
- Lien: Tell Sen. Cory Gardner to support Land and Water Conservation Fund (column)
- Carnes: A bigly appropriate Christmas poem (column)
- Carnes: All days should be like this; sometimes it is fun to just hang out around here (column)
- Trust your gut: Man at center of I-70 stabbing incident warns public
- Beaver Creek extends hours, opens more terrain Saturday
- More than 2,400 petition signatures oppose Berlaimont plan north of Edwards
- Colorado Parks and Wildlife arrests 2 Florida men for poaching after anonymous tip
- Vail Pass upgrades will have to balance needs of motorists, cyclists, wildlife