Vail Daily letter: Asking for your vote
October 25, 2016
I was appointed to serve as the treasurer in January after the retirement of our previous treasurer. I am running for office because I have experience in the office, am knowledgeable of the statutes and deadlines, and know exactly what needs to be done to keep the office moving forward.
The Treasurer's Office is one of the most efficient offices in the county. With a staff of six employees we accurately account for over $280 million annually while providing friendly customer service to the citizens of Eagle County, as well as the internal county departments.
We went through a major software conversion three years ago allowing us to streamline many of our procedures and provide real time property tax account information online. In addition, property owners have the convenience to pay their property taxes online.
The Treasurer's Office provides full transparency. We balance the office daily and reconcile and report monthly. Our monthly financial statements and tax distributions are available on our website, along with our six-month financial reports that are also published in the newspaper. The Treasurer's Office is audited annually by an outside auditing firm along with the rest of the county, and has never had any mishandling of taxpayer money.
My staff works diligently to collect 100 percent of property taxes billed, even making courtesy phone calls to delinquent property owners making sure they are aware their taxes are delinquent and providing them with information on the process so they can avoid incurring additional fees. We typically have less than 100 property tax accounts go to tax sale in November and often have more tax investors than we have properties.
As your treasurer, I will continue to be a responsible steward of your taxpayer dollars, while providing efficient and friendly service to the citizens of Eagle County.
Recommended Stories For You
This is not the time to take a step backwards. This election is about electing the most qualified, competent, trustworthy individual for the job.
I ask for your vote in this election.
Trending In: Opinion
- Was that comment about ‘peasants’ riding the bus intended to be funny? (letter)
- Birds of Prey showed our valley shining in the global spotlight; thanks for your contribution (letter)
- Lien: Tell Sen. Cory Gardner to support Land and Water Conservation Fund (column)
- Carnes: All days should be like this; sometimes it is fun to just hang out around here (column)
- Norton: The only thing better than a good book is a great book (column)
- Trust your gut: Man at center of I-70 stabbing incident warns public
- Beaver Creek extends hours, opens more terrain Saturday
- Colorado Parks and Wildlife arrests 2 Florida men for poaching after anonymous tip
- More than 2,400 petition signatures oppose Berlaimont plan north of Edwards
- Vail Pass upgrades will have to balance needs of motorists, cyclists, wildlife