Vail Daily letter: Asking for your vote
October 25, 2016
I was appointed to serve as the treasurer in January after the retirement of our previous treasurer. I am running for office because I have experience in the office, am knowledgeable of the statutes and deadlines, and know exactly what needs to be done to keep the office moving forward.
The Treasurer's Office is one of the most efficient offices in the county. With a staff of six employees we accurately account for over $280 million annually while providing friendly customer service to the citizens of Eagle County, as well as the internal county departments.
We went through a major software conversion three years ago allowing us to streamline many of our procedures and provide real time property tax account information online. In addition, property owners have the convenience to pay their property taxes online.
The Treasurer's Office provides full transparency. We balance the office daily and reconcile and report monthly. Our monthly financial statements and tax distributions are available on our website, along with our six-month financial reports that are also published in the newspaper. The Treasurer's Office is audited annually by an outside auditing firm along with the rest of the county, and has never had any mishandling of taxpayer money.
My staff works diligently to collect 100 percent of property taxes billed, even making courtesy phone calls to delinquent property owners making sure they are aware their taxes are delinquent and providing them with information on the process so they can avoid incurring additional fees. We typically have less than 100 property tax accounts go to tax sale in November and often have more tax investors than we have properties.
As your treasurer, I will continue to be a responsible steward of your taxpayer dollars, while providing efficient and friendly service to the citizens of Eagle County.
Recommended Stories For You
This is not the time to take a step backwards. This election is about electing the most qualified, competent, trustworthy individual for the job.
I ask for your vote in this election.
Trending In: Opinion
- Berlaimont Estates access route (letter)
- Democrats should communicate values, rather than just bashing Trump (letter)
- $5 million for a pile of wood? Avon has better things to spend money on (letter)
- Backcountry Hunters & Anglers encourage sportsmen to vote public lands and waters (column)
- Maybe it’s time to wipe the slate clean in Avon on Election Day (letter)
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack
- Standoff near Breckenridge between police and armed suspect
- Fire is burning north of Dotsero, near Sweetwater resort
- Vail Resorts, local business groups announce Merchant Pass options for 2018-19
- Aspen girl speaks out in video about alleged rape