Vail Daily letter: Chandler-Henry for commissioner
October 29, 2016
I am writing to encourage residents of Eagle County to vote for Kathy Chandler-Henry for Eagle County Commissioner. Listing here accomplishments and qualifications would take too much space so let's focus on her most important qualification: Kathy is very smart. Kathy was a Boettcher Scholar and the hard work and mental curiosity that resulted in her receiving that award have been the hallmarks of her policy decisions and public service as a county commissioner.
Kathy works with community leaders to understand issues related to our towns and business organizations; the National Forest that surrounds us; regional road and traffic problems; and demands on our most essential resource — water. Kathy participated with local water professionals to assure that our water concerns were addressed in the final version of the Colorado Water Plan. She is very aware of this limited resource and the demands coming form the Front Range for more trans-mountain diversions. Importantly, she supports linking planning and land use decisions to the fundamental requirement of existing, currently available water.
It is difficult to balance concerns about our environment while simultaneously supporting business development in Eagle County, but Kathy has done that. Kathy has worked consistently with the Vail Valley Partnership and all our municipalities to assure that job opportunities are explored to keep our residents employed here at home. At the same time, she has supported the Continental Divide Wilderness and Recreation Act, as well as alternative transportation in an effort to get citizens from their homes to work while reducing greenhouse emissions.
Kathy has worked diligently for all areas of Eagle County including El Jebel and Basalt in the Roaring Fork Valley. She makes herself available to discuss concerns raised by our fellow citizens on affordable housing, senior care, early childhood education and many other current issues. It is for these reasons that I encourage you to vote for Kathy Chandler-Henry to be one of Eagle County's commissioners.
Trending In: Opinion
- Was that comment about ‘peasants’ riding the bus intended to be funny? (letter)
- Birds of Prey showed our valley shining in the global spotlight; thanks for your contribution (letter)
- Lien: Tell Sen. Cory Gardner to support Land and Water Conservation Fund (column)
- Carnes: All days should be like this; sometimes it is fun to just hang out around here (column)
- Carnes: ’Tis the season for faux outrage at songs, TV and other holiday classics (column)
- Vail Resorts CEO Rob Katz gives $2 million in grants to support mental health programs
- Trust your gut: Man at center of I-70 stabbing incident warns public
- Russian spammers the likely source of fake email bomb threats, IT experts say
- Beaver Creek extends hours, opens more terrain Saturday
- Colorado Parks and Wildlife arrests 2 Florida men for poaching after anonymous tip