Vail Daily letter: Chandler-Henry for commissioner
October 29, 2016
I am writing to encourage residents of Eagle County to vote for Kathy Chandler-Henry for Eagle County Commissioner. Listing here accomplishments and qualifications would take too much space so let's focus on her most important qualification: Kathy is very smart. Kathy was a Boettcher Scholar and the hard work and mental curiosity that resulted in her receiving that award have been the hallmarks of her policy decisions and public service as a county commissioner.
Kathy works with community leaders to understand issues related to our towns and business organizations; the National Forest that surrounds us; regional road and traffic problems; and demands on our most essential resource — water. Kathy participated with local water professionals to assure that our water concerns were addressed in the final version of the Colorado Water Plan. She is very aware of this limited resource and the demands coming form the Front Range for more trans-mountain diversions. Importantly, she supports linking planning and land use decisions to the fundamental requirement of existing, currently available water.
It is difficult to balance concerns about our environment while simultaneously supporting business development in Eagle County, but Kathy has done that. Kathy has worked consistently with the Vail Valley Partnership and all our municipalities to assure that job opportunities are explored to keep our residents employed here at home. At the same time, she has supported the Continental Divide Wilderness and Recreation Act, as well as alternative transportation in an effort to get citizens from their homes to work while reducing greenhouse emissions.
Kathy has worked diligently for all areas of Eagle County including El Jebel and Basalt in the Roaring Fork Valley. She makes herself available to discuss concerns raised by our fellow citizens on affordable housing, senior care, early childhood education and many other current issues. It is for these reasons that I encourage you to vote for Kathy Chandler-Henry to be one of Eagle County's commissioners.
Trending In: Opinion
- $5 million for a pile of wood? Avon has better things to spend money on (letter)
- Democrats should communicate values, rather than just bashing Trump (letter)
- Let’s fund transit the right way: Vote ‘yes’ for Proposition 110 (letter)
- Wissot: Don’t let politics play such an overwhelmingly negative role in your life (column)
- Vote ‘yes’ on 7D to support Colorado Mountain College, a diamond in our community (letter)
- Vail Resorts, local business groups announce Merchant Pass options for 2018-19
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- Bear sighting in Avon, video captured in resident’s backyard
- A community battles back: Vail rallies around rebuilding what terrorists destroyed in 1998 fire
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack