Vail Daily letter: ‘No’ on 1B
October 19, 2016
Don't be misled by claims that Ballot Issue 1B doesn't raise taxes. It does! By extending the open space 1.5 mill levy another 15 years from 2025 to 2040 it will increase taxes about $5 million per year or a total of $75 million during that period.
The open space tax was originally passed by a very narrow margin (51 percent to 49 percent), in 2010. This is a slick manner to double the term of the original tax increase by allowing some of the money to be spent on trails. This deceptive tactic is regrettable.
Vote 'no' on 1B.
Trending In: Opinion
- Time for U.S. Forest Service officials to say ‘no’ to Berlaimont Estates road project (letter)
- Mazzuca: The meek have already inherited the earth (column)
- With record profits the past few years, why doesn’t Vail Health lower its prices? (letter)
- Connect for Health Colorado: Optimism surrounds sixth-annual open enrollment (column)
- Worried about anthropogenic global warming? The super volcano will take care of that (letter)
- Colorado’s mom-and-pop ski areas are slipping away
- I-70 standoff suspect allegedly stabbed ‘good Samaritan’
- Vail Pass Rest Area death ruled a suicide
- Does cannabis cost, or pay? CCU study claims marijuana costs $4.50 for every $1 it generates
- Vail Resorts has sold about 925,000 passes of all kinds for this ski season