Vail Daily letter: ‘No’ on 1B
October 19, 2016
Don't be misled by claims that Ballot Issue 1B doesn't raise taxes. It does! By extending the open space 1.5 mill levy another 15 years from 2025 to 2040 it will increase taxes about $5 million per year or a total of $75 million during that period.
The open space tax was originally passed by a very narrow margin (51 percent to 49 percent), in 2010. This is a slick manner to double the term of the original tax increase by allowing some of the money to be spent on trails. This deceptive tactic is regrettable.
Vote 'no' on 1B.
Trending In: Opinion
- Berlaimont Estates access route (letter)
- Democrats should communicate values, rather than just bashing Trump (letter)
- Backcountry Hunters & Anglers encourage sportsmen to vote public lands and waters (column)
- $5 million for a pile of wood? Avon has better things to spend money on (letter)
- Maybe it’s time to wipe the slate clean in Avon on Election Day (letter)
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack
- Standoff near Breckenridge between police and armed suspect
- Fire is burning north of Dotsero, near Sweetwater resort
- Aspen girl speaks out in video about alleged rape
- Hahnewald barn’s proposed first move would cost $390K, take up 12 parking spaces in downtown Avon