Vail Daily letter: Thanks for hosting Veterans Night at the Rodeo
August 2, 2017
To the Board of Directors for the Eagle County Fair and Rodeo: It is with deep gratitude that I write to thank you all for the thoughtfulness and generosity you shared on Veterans Night at the Rodeo. The Eagle County veterans who attended enjoyed themselves tremendously, but beyond that, the recognition and generosity shown to them was extremely meaningful.
We had 23 Eagle County veterans in attendance, with a number of spouses. The group included Alan Nottingham, who served in the Korean War, all the way to Tyson Ivie, who served in Iraq and was awarded a Purple Heart. Of course, due to the ages represented, we had many Vietnam veterans in the group, and since they were never welcomed home properly, they are always grateful for the welcome and the salute to their service.
The new commander of the local VFW Post 10721, U.S. Navy, Ret. Chief Al Zepeda, had a ride in the wagon with Commissioner Kathy Chandler Henry and was resplendent in his summer white uniform. The immediate past commander, Pete Thompson (U.S. Army, Vietnam) wrote:
"It seems to me that I have been going to the Eagle County rodeo for a dozen years. The Eagle County sponsors always treat us to dinner, entry tickets, gorgeous rodeo girls and county commissioners, lots of horses and cattle and some bull. And each year it is a great 'American' event. It always reminds me of my America. I don't know who arranges our participation, but I personally want to thank that individual."
Thank you on behalf of all the veterans of Eagle County.
Recommended Stories For You
Eagle County Veteran Service Officer
Trending In: Opinion
- $5 million for a pile of wood? Avon has better things to spend money on (letter)
- Vote ‘no’ on Prop. 109 and ‘yes’ on Prop. 110 to fund transportation in Colorado (letter)
- Vote ‘yes’ on 7D to support Colorado Mountain College, a diamond in our community (letter)
- Proposition 112, a family’s perspective (letter)
- Vote ‘yes’ on Amendment 73 to add $11.6 million annually to Eagle County Schools (letter)
- Two people, a dog injured after vehicle crashes through garage in Edwards
- A community battles back: Vail rallies around rebuilding what terrorists destroyed in 1998 fire
- Bear sighting in Avon, video captured in resident’s backyard
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- Vail Ski & Snowboard Academy, Eagle Valley High School go 1-2 at state mountain biking championships