Vail Daily letter: ‘Yes’ on 3A, 3B
October 14, 2016
When you are looking to move to a community, you look at the amenities. Does the community have nice neighborhoods, good restaurants, open space, safe streets and good schools?
"Good schools" is an important one. So much is said about a community in its schools.
No matter if the community hosts a world-class ski resort, breath-taking vistas, great restaurants, renowned theaters and music, and beautiful people: if the public schools are under-funded, the community will suffer. Good schools are the root of sustaining a good community.
3A and 3B will provide the funds to strengthen that root ball.
3A will provide funding to recruit and retain the best teachers, support staff, bus drivers and custodians in this valley. No 3A funds will go to senior district administration. 3A will reduce class sizes. 3A will restore programs lost like art, music, technology. 3A will provide funds for ongoing maintenance of school facilities. An investment of $1.90 per month per $100,000 of a home's value will support 3A. That's less than two Starbucks' coffees a month.
3B will provide our students with relevant, upgraded instructional technology. 3B will improve school safety and security. 3B will replace dilapidated roofs, heating, plumbing and other critical repairs. 3B will add classrooms and labs at Eagle Valley High School to address rapid enrollment growth. And, 3B will provide funding to renovate and reconstruct Eagle Valley Elementary, Eagle Valley Middle and Red Sandstone Elementary. Again, an investment of $1.44 per month per $100,000 of a home's value will support 3B. That's equivalent to one month of Netflix.
Recommended Stories For You
The financial shortfall in our public schools is not because of irresponsible spending by our district. Instead, it stems from the fact that Colorado is ranked 42nd out of 50 states in funding education. Currently, Colorado spends $2,130 less per student than the U.S. average. We can't rely on our state to keep our community's schools great. We have to do it ourselves.
Vote "yes" on 3A and 3B to live in a community that has great schools.
Trending In: Opinion
- Mazzuca: Why was planting of American flag omitted from ‘First Man’ film? (column)
- Norton: The smartest person in the room is rarely the one doing the most talking (column)
- The Sandoval family thanks you for your support during their loss (letter)
- Matney: Are depictions of murder, bloodshed, violence and death the best way to have fun? (column)
- The persona of PSRA champion ski racer Lonny Vanatta, captured in photos (letter)
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area COO Henceroth chimes in on Opening Day
- Feeling trolled, Breckenridge residents want popular, wooden sculpture removed
- Loveland man dies in East Vail crash. No one else injured in Sunday evening accident
- Colorado ski season kicks off at Wolf Creek Ski Area
- Ski.com and Epic Pass are accepting applications for the dream ski job