Vail Daily letter: ‘Yes’ on 3A, 3B
October 22, 2016
Like us, many of our longtime friends in Eagle County grew up somewhere else, where they got a good education before they moved here. Our parents and grandparents paid taxes into the schools we attended, which prepared about half of all Eagle County residents to earn a college degree. This is well above the national average. We tend to think of ourselves as a pretty smart group of people because we've figured out a way to live here. Education has given us good jobs and amazing co-workers who contribute to a strong local economy.
If we are really as smart as all that education indicates, then we know the value of a good education to our children, our community and our economy. We have a responsibility to ensure the students graduating from Eagle County schools receive a good education. This is the pipeline of educated, local workers we need to maintain our high quality of life here in Eagle County.
Three competing and contradictory statewide ballot questions passed in Colorado over the last 30 years. While Gallagher, Tabor and Amendment 23 each passed with the best intentions, they have given us a mixed-up recipe for school funding. This has resulted in Colorado falling to 47th in school funding compared to the rest of the country. We are smart enough to know if we want this school funding mess fixed, Eagle County residents like us must take responsibility to fund a good education for Eagle County students.
It is not acceptable to provide sub-par educational resources to the children in one of the best places to live in the country. We all need to vote "yes" for 3A and 3B so Eagle County teachers can do the job we expect of them. If we really value the education others provided for us, it's our turn. Let's show we're smart enough to pay it forward and vote "yes" to support a good education for students growing up here.
Jim and Caroline Bradford
Trending In: Opinion
- $5 million for a pile of wood? Avon has better things to spend money on (letter)
- Vote ‘no’ on Prop. 109 and ‘yes’ on Prop. 110 to fund transportation in Colorado (letter)
- Democrats should communicate values, rather than just bashing Trump (letter)
- Let’s fund transit the right way: Vote ‘yes’ for Proposition 110 (letter)
- Wissot: Don’t let politics play such an overwhelmingly negative role in your life (column)
- Vail Resorts, local business groups announce Merchant Pass options for 2018-19
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- A community battles back: Vail rallies around rebuilding what terrorists destroyed in 1998 fire
- Bear sighting in Avon, video captured in resident’s backyard
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack