Vail Daily letter: ‘Yes’ on 3A, 3B
October 22, 2016
According to Govern.com, Colorado ranks at 42nd in terms of US spending on education. Colorado.gov puts education expenditures at 39th in the country. Today we spend $8,985 per year per student. That is a drop from $9,611 from 2010.
I find it appalling that Colorado spends $31,440 per year to keep one person in prison per year. Of that amount $4,650 per inmate is spent on healthcare. Why are we spending more to keep prisoners than we are educating our children?
Pay for teachers in Eagle County is not nearly highest in the state. We need to attract and retain good teachers. To do that we need to pay them adequately. School physical plant assets have suffered over the last eight years since the recession started.
I'm retired; my children are long gone from even graduate school. My wife and I support 3A and 3B for the good of our children, for the good of our community and state. Vote "yes" on both!
Trending In: Opinion
- Mazzuca: Why was planting of American flag omitted from ‘First Man’ film? (column)
- Noble: We are a country of immigrants, so why are we afraid to embrace Spanish speakers? (column)
- Our View: The Vail Daily endorses some candidates, some ballot issues. Here’s why (editorial)
- Norton: The smartest person in the room is rarely the one doing the most talking (column)
- Carnes: Kanye West, Taylor Swift and the consequences for apathetic entertainment (column)
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area COO Henceroth chimes in on Opening Day
- Loveland man dies in East Vail crash. No one else injured in Sunday evening accident
- Former Vail Valley arts patron Alberto Vilar trying to enjoy what’s left of his life after 10-year prison stint
- Comedians Steve Martin and Martin Short to perform at Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater in Vail
- Town of Vail likely to change short-term rental regulations in response to complaints