Vail Health’s Dr. Jack Eck: Cast your vote in support of mental health funding
November 4, 2017
I urge everyone in the community to consider the importance of voting yes on ballot issue 1A for mental health. As a Vietnam veteran, I witnessed the destruction drugs had on the population and our troops in that frustrating war. I also witnessed the need for mental health and substance abuse facilities as a practicing internal medicine and intensive care physician in our local community.
It is extremely difficult to find a safe place in our community for patients suffering the ravages of substance abuse and mental disorders. Unfortunately, Eagle County has no in-patient facility and Colorado has few facilities to accommodate patients with these needs.
Voting yes on 1A would allow a tax on recreational marijuana, generating $1.2 million annually for mental health services. These funds would dramatically increase the presence of mental health counselors in schools and would improve mental health walk-in clinic hours. The dollars would also allow for an integrated facility to house a 24/7 walk-in clinic, crisis and respite care stabilization beds and a social detox unit. These improvements could significantly help address the current deficiency and enhance the well-being of our community as a whole.
This community has always tried to respond to the needs of others. This is a critical need and an opportunity to use these funds wisely to help our family, friends and neighbors.
We must come together as a community. "Doing nothing" isn't an option; this is a problem we must all address and solve together. Ballots have been mailed and are due on Tuesday, Nov. 7. Please make sure to cast your vote.
Jack Eck, M.D.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Carnes: A bigly appropriate Christmas poem (column)
- Birds of Prey showed our valley shining in the global spotlight; thanks for your contribution (letter)
- Lien: Tell Sen. Cory Gardner to support Land and Water Conservation Fund (column)
- Insert yourself into the cogs of democracy (letter)
- Was that comment about ‘peasants’ riding the bus intended to be funny? (letter)
- Skier dies after crash at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Trust your gut: Man at center of I-70 stabbing incident warns public
- More than 2,400 petition signatures oppose Berlaimont plan north of Edwards
- Beaver Creek extends hours, opens more terrain Saturday
- Vail Pass upgrades will have to balance needs of motorists, cyclists, wildlife