Vote Phil Weiser for Colorado attorney general, the ‘people’s lawyer’ (letter)
June 11, 2018
With all the noise on the news about politics, it's hard to know who to trust these days. Many people are exhausted or don't know what to do about the daily onslaught of dishonesty and policy decisions that don't represent many of the values we hold dear in Colorado. We are worried about the economy, the environment, health care, immigration and the increase in gun violence, among many other issues.
There is something all of us can do to bring accountability and representation of the people back to our government: Vote in the upcoming primary on Tuesday, June 26, and vote for Phil Weiser for attorney general.
What is the role of a state attorney general? As head of the Department of Law, the Attorney General is both the "people's lawyer" and the state's chief legal officer.
As the "people's lawyer," the attorney general serves as the guardian of the legal rights of the citizens of Colorado, its organizations and its natural resources. In his role as the state's chief legal counsel, the attorney general not only advises the executive branch of state government but also defends actions and proceedings on behalf of the state.
The attorney general's office is charged with the statutory and common-law powers to protect consumers and investors, charitable donors, the public health and environment, civil rights and the rights of wage earners and businesses across the state.
The attorney general's authority also includes the activities and investigations of the State Organized Crime Task Force and Medicaid Fraud Control Unit. And with our state's values and needs under threat from the Trump administration, the attorney general's job is more critical than ever.
Recommended Stories For You
Phil will bring a breadth of legal expertise and leadership experience to the attorney general's office. He served as a law clerk to Justice Ginsburg on the Supreme Court and worked in the Justice Department for Presidents Clinton and Obama and as the former Dean and leader of the University of Colorado's law school.
He will work with leaders around the state to develop smart approaches from dealing with the opioid crisis to addressing health care costs to protecting our land, air and water. We are fortunate to have a lawyer of Phil's expertise and talents ready to work for us
To learn more about Phil, please check out his website (philforcolorado.com) and join me on June 26 in supporting Phil Weiser for state attorney general.
Josh and Christina Lautenberg
Trending In: Opinion
- Vail Daily owes readers an apology for cartoon that uses #MeToo to demean victims (letter)
- Carnes: Did you do some stupid things in high school? Me too (column)
- Do we truly value wildlife or just the appearance of being in the wild? (letter)
- What’s a better approach for prisoners: Punishment or rehabilitation? (letter)
- Many conservative groups use hidden stealth tactics to influence opinion and political decision-making (letter)
- Catherine Kelley’s murderer pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman, says he ‘hates’ what he did
- Riverwalk Theater in Edwards has new owners and is now serving beer, wine
- Negative effects of legal marijuana rising, law enforcement task force study finds
- Utah man arrested near Eagle, suspected of firing pistol from moving vehicle
- Vail Resorts’ plan to expand Vail Mountain snowmaking draws good response