Vote ‘yes’ to support Greater Eagle and Gypsum fire districts (letter)
October 17, 2018
I am expressing my support for the mill levy tax increases for both the Eagle and Gypsum fire protection districts. Voting yes will let the districts keep monies they already have. Without these, monies the districts will have a significant and automatic income decrease due Colorado's convoluted property assessment calculations.
Since most monies pay for fire personnel, and balanced budgets are mandatory, the western Eagle Valley fire districts will lay off firefighters. The dry summer we had further validated the need for this level of needed service. We owe them our thanks and our "yes" vote. For disclosure, I have no financial conflicts by supporting a "yes" vote.
Trending In: Opinion
- Proposed ‘boarding house’ not a good fit for the Eagle-Vail community (letter)
- If Colorado declares autism an ‘epidemic,’ it could have very impactful social effects (letter)
- Sheldon: There’s been a rise in hate crimes in our country, and words aren’t enough to combat it (column)
- Senior exemption from taxes? Here’s three reasons that would be a terrible idea (letter)
- Best of Vail 2018 winners (full list)
- Woman found in Vail Dumpster requests exclusion of police testimony from trial, scheduled for February
- Sunny skies, fresh powder and free parking at Vail Opening Day 2018
- Vail to open Northwoods on Saturday
- Breckenridge Town Council votes to remove controversial trail troll