What is the price of safety? Vote ‘yes’ on 6A to fund the Greater Eagle Fire Protection District (letter)
October 6, 2018
This is to the residents of the Greater Eagle Fire Protection District area: Your fire district is being forced to consider reducing firefighter/EMT staff because of cuts required by the state funding formula.
This reduction in funding is happening while there are more and more homes and businesses added to the Eagle area. If firefighter numbers are cut, it can take longer for firefighters to get to your house in an emergency.
Fewer firefighters and more calls: Something has to give. To avoid this situation, the Greater Eagle Fire Protection District has placed 6A on the ballot this fall.
It seeks to restore funding lost to the state's funding formula in previous cutbacks caused by the Gallagher Amendment, and it also asks your permission to opt out of the constraints of the state's formula so the district can responsibly balance its budget.
It will cost a little bit more — $36 per year on a home valued at $500,000.
I can't put a price tag on what having quick response to an emergency at my home or anyone's home or business in the Eagle service area is worth.
Recommended Stories For You
I urge you to vote "yes" on 6A. Find Vote Yes for 6A on Facebook for more information
Trending In: Opinion
- $5 million for a pile of wood? Avon has better things to spend money on (letter)
- Democrats should communicate values, rather than just bashing Trump (letter)
- Let’s fund transit the right way: Vote ‘yes’ for Proposition 110 (letter)
- Vote ‘no’ on Prop. 109 and ‘yes’ on Prop. 110 to fund transportation in Colorado (letter)
- Wissot: Don’t let politics play such an overwhelmingly negative role in your life (column)
- Vail Resorts, local business groups announce Merchant Pass options for 2018-19
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- Bear sighting in Avon, video captured in resident’s backyard
- A community battles back: Vail rallies around rebuilding what terrorists destroyed in 1998 fire
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack