Where are the Wild West ‘gunfights’ that used to reside in the commentary pages? (letter)
May 1, 2018
The agora in Western towns has always been our saloons, public spaces, places of worship and, of course, the newspapers' letters to the community. The letters allow verbal "gunfights," where we blow off steam and criticisms are aired.
Recently, corporate papers like the Vail Daily (and Aspen Times) seem to have lost their Wild West cojones. Vail Health advertises with the Vail Daily. The result? Social media has jumped into the void where the papers serve only their large advertisers.
Trending In: Opinion
- Do we truly value wildlife or just the appearance of being in the wild? (letter)
- Carnes: Did you do some stupid things in high school? Me too (column)
- Goldberg: Feinstein’s handling of Kavanaugh accusation has made our politics even uglier (column)
- Nicholson: It’s not enough to stand against something; it’s time for progressives to promote things we stand for (column)
- Catherine Kelley’s murderer pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman, says he ‘hates’ what he did
- Negative effects of legal marijuana rising, law enforcement task force study finds
- Riverwalk Theater in Edwards has new owners and is now serving beer, wine
- Scammers targeting Vail Valley, gaining access to personal accounts and family funds
- Vail Mountain snowmaking expansion plan would increase capacity by 52 percent