Man dives off rock into Green Mountain Reservoir Tuesday, doesn’t resurface
August 2, 2017
A man who dove from a popular diving rock into Green Mountain Reservoir Tuesday afternoon did not surface. The Summit County Sheriff’s Office is referring to the incident as a suspected drowning.
The Sheriff's Office was notified at about 4:40 p.m. Tuesday, according to a news release. Deputies arrived at the reservoir in about 15 minutes and starting interviewing witnesses, including people with the diver who had rented pontoon boats at the reservoir and who were camping nearby.
At about 6:30 p.m., Sheriff’s Office Special Operations personnel arrived on scene with a boat and sonar equipment in an effort to locate the man. County Road 30 from the north entrance to the Green Mountain Dam and an area of water surface around the rock have been closed to the public.
Trending In: Main Carousel
- Warning issued for Edwards residents after 8-10 mountain lions seen roaming neighborhoods
- O. J. Simpson spotted in Vail, posing for selfies
- Storm could bring up to 14 inches of new snow to Vail and Beaver Creek
- WATCH: Park City-area avalanche buries skier in harrowing backcountry episode
- Skier rushed from Beaver Creek, pronounced dead at 85