Broncos renegotiate contract of Pro Bowler Wiegmann | VailDaily.com

Broncos renegotiate contract of Pro Bowler Wiegmann

Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Denver, CO Colorado

DENVER, Colorado –At least one of the Broncos’ Pro Bowl players will be in training camp next month.

Veteran center Casey Wiegmann agreed on Wednesday to a new two-year contract.

Wiegmann, 35, had been scheduled to make only the veteran minimum salary of $845,000 this season, and was considering retirement if he and the team could not work out a new contract more befitting a player who has started 127 consecutive games and made the Pro Bowl last season.

“We were working to try to prevent that,” coach Josh McDaniels said. “They had patience, we had patience. We tried to make sure we did this the right way. We tried to do what is in the best interest of Casey and the Denver Broncos.”

McDaniels said Wiegmann missed only one day of the team’s offseason workout program – an excused absence to attend a family function.

“I can’t say enough about the way he went through this process,” McDaniels said. “We’re very grateful.”

McDaniels had no comment about his other Pro Bowl offensive star, receiver Brandon Marshall, who has stayed away from Denver while pushing for a new contract.

Marshall wrote on his personal blog Tuesday that he was ready for a change.