Devils defeat Bears in overtime, 2-1, on Thursday |

Devils defeat Bears in overtime, 2-1, on Thursday

Eagle Valley's Yarik Raut, left, heads the ball to assist with the first goal of Thursday night's Homecoming game against Rifle in Gypsum. Raut went on to score the game-winning goal with a header in overtime for the Devils.
Kristin Anderson | Special to the Daily |

GYPSUM — Eagle Valley experienced a “fun hiccup” against Rifle with a 2-1 overtime win on Thursday night in Gypsum.

The Bears (0-8, 0-7 Western Slope) tied the game, 1-1, with four minutes left in regulation on a long shot from 30 yards out only to have the Devils (5-5, 5-2) get the golden goal four minutes into overtime.

On a free kick from outside the corner of the box in overtime, Christer Serna sent one toward the front of the net, and Yarik Raut connected with a header that bounced past the Rifle goalie and won the game for the Devils.

“It was a perfect pass from Christer,” Raut said. “It’s an amazing goal. It was a hard game for my team and my coach, and we’ll all enjoy this win.”

The Devils needed more than a tie against the Bears with tough conference play still left on the schedule, including Battle Mountain next week. Eagle Valley currently sits in third place in the Western Slope behind the Huskies and Steamboat Springs.


The Devils dominated possession against the Bears, and they also were more aggressive at the net. The Devils kept knocking at the net in the first half before a rebound by Carlos Chavez put them on the board, 1-0, with minutes remaining in the half.

“(Raut) headed it, and it was a lucky rebound for me and I put it in,” Chavez said. “We have to put those in, and it was all a team effort.”

The Devils played safe defense in the second half, clearing anything that passed midfield. But one strike by a Rifle attacker and the game changed with four minutes left in the second half.

“I feel like we moved the ball really well,” Devils coach Bratzo Horruitiner said. “That long ball, that was pretty much the first time they shot on goal, and it went in.”

Horruitiner said it took a little longer for the team to “turn on the heart,” whether because of Homecoming or the lesser opponent, but in overtime, the heart of the team took over.

Eric Ramos helped maintain ball control at midfield and set up chances for the Devils, and Omar Mata, Luis Landeros and the rest of the Devils helped keep the ball away from goalie.

“This was a fun hiccup,” Horruitiner said. “I think we learned a lot.”

The Devils host Glenwood Springs on Tuesday before heading to Edwards for a rematch with the Huskies on Thursday. Eagle Valley won the first matchup of the season with Battle Mountain, 2-1, in double overtime.

Reporter Ross Leonhart can be reached at 970-748-2915 and Follow him on Instagram at colorado_livin_on_the_hill.

Support Local Journalism