Devils hold off Demons at Homecoming |

Devils hold off Demons at Homecoming

Eagle Valley's Bryce Muehlethaler pulls in a reception over for their first touchdown during their game against Glenwood Springs Friday night in Gypsum.
Justin Q. McCarty | Special to the Daily |

GYPSUM — Glenwood Springs did not go gentle into that good night, as the script for Eagle Valley football’s Homecoming had likely been written.

The Demons were game before the Devils ground their way to a 17-14 win on Friday night in Gypsum at John Ramunno Field.

Eagle Valley dominated when it came to time of possession during the first half. The Devils had a 13-play drive including two fourth-down conversions. The third try on fourth down failed and the Demons took over deep in their own territory.

Glenwood Springs quarterback Jake Townsley, seeing his first action since returning from a concussion, called his own number for 87 yards. He went down the right side and then cut across the left to paydirt.

The Devils responded with a whole bunch of rushing from Jay Neal, Kyle Williams and Garrett Martin. The last was virtually unstoppable on the quarterback sneak. Martin to Bryce Muehlethaler for 11 yards evened the game.

Support Local Journalism

Glenwood Springs would have a golden opportunity to retake the lead on a fumbled punt deep in Devils’ territory, but that was called back with an illegal shift call. Eagle Valley seemed content to go into the half tied at 7, but they got the passing game going late. Martin found Muehlethaler for 13 yards; Wyatt Borah for 26; and Charlie Fessenden for 22. That set up an Aldo Palacios field goal from 34 yards. Not surprisingly, the soccer player had plenty of leg on that one and the Devils led 10-7 at the half.


The Devils seemed to start taking charge in the second half. Martin went for 12 yards. Cole Harper ripped off a 20-yarder and Neal finished it with an 8-yard scamper. Palacios, freshly minted as the homecoming king, was good on the extra point. On the Demons’ ensuing possession, Townsley ran for a first down but was shaken up at the 40-yard line. Yet he returned to keep the Demons’ drive going. Townsley hit Osier for 5 yards and closed the Eagle Valley lead to 17-14.

The Devils launched a lengthy drive in the fourth quarter only to be handcuffed by two holding penalties. Martin almost had a touchdown for 25 yards with Matthew Sanchez in the corner. The latter made a great catch but was ruled out of bounds. Palacios missed left on a 40-yard field-goal attempt.

Those miscues would prove costly as Townsley hit Easton Gaddis for 73 yards on a third-and-20 on the Demons’ 10. Glenwood got as close as the 6 before a holding call moved the Demons back. With 53 seconds left, Osier attempted a 33-yard field goal, but it was no good and Eagle Valley survived for the win.

The Devils (5-1 overall and 2-1 in the 3A Slope) host Steamboat Springs next week.

Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934.

Support Local Journalism