Hebda, Peak to Peak shutout Battle Mountain, 4-0 | VailDaily.com

Hebda, Peak to Peak shutout Battle Mountain, 4-0

Ian Smith
Vail, CO Colorado

VAIL, Colorado ” The Battle Mountain hockey team couldn’t overcome a lengthy layoff or Jake Hebda.

The Peak to Peak goalie stymied the Huskies on Saturday night, leading the Pumas to a 4-0 victory at Dobson Ice Arena.

“(Hebda) made a lot of good saves,” Battle Mountain coach Gary Defina said. “We hit him a lot, but he made a lot of good saves. He is one of the better goalies in the league.”

It didn’t take long for Hebda to make his presence felt. In the first period, Battle Mountain couldn’t take advantage of a pair of Peak to Peak hooking penalties. The Huskies put the puck on net a number of times only to see Hebda turn it away.

The second period was more of the same for Battle Mountain. The fast-paced action was controlled by the Huskies, but they still couldn’t put one in the net. Hebda used nearly every piece of padding to keep Battle Mountain scoreless.

In the final four minutes of the period, Hebda blocked three different Battle Mountain scoring chances. Elliot Simon’s wrist-shot right in front of the net hit Hebda’s protector. Later, Connor Tedstrom fired a shot on net only to see Hebda trap it against his chest.

“It was a little bit too selfish is what it was,” Defina said of Battle Mountain’s offense. “Guys tried to do it alone. That doesn’t get it done at this level. It might work against some of the weaker teams in the league, but a team like (Peak to Peak), the teams we play from here on out, it’s got to be about the team.”

While Battle Mountain struggled offensively, Peak to Peak made the most of its opportunities. The Pumas’ Dylan Nash flipped the puck from behind the net off the back of a Battle Mountain defenseman and into the goal for a 1-0 lead.

Peak to Peak only registered three shots on goal in the second period, but it still found a way to score. After a Battle Mountain penalty, Shay Longtain tipped a Justin Brewer shot past Huskies goalie Brad Beaudin for the power-play goal and a 2-0 advantage.

Trailing 2-0, Battle Mountain started to press in the third period. The aggressive Huskies were signaled for a number of penalties, giving Peak to Peak more than enough chances. Ty Silver made a nifty move to beat Beaudin on his glove side to ice the game. Longtain added an empty-net goal to account for the final 4-0 margin.

“We were right with them, 1-0,” Defina said. “I think they only had three shots in the second period and they scored on one of them. We took the play to them in the second period. Then we just lost in the third period. We told them to bring it in the third period, but they just lost it.”

Battle Mountain is back in action on Friday when it hosts Fountain Valley at 6 p.m.

Sports Writer Ian Smith can be reached at 970-748-2935 or ismith@vaildaily.com.

Support Local Journalism