Huskies hockey topples Summit; trophy back home |

Huskies hockey topples Summit; trophy back home

VAIL – The Shrine Pass trophy is back home.

After five years the Shrine Pass Trophy is back in the hands of Battle Mountain, courtesy of a 7-2 beating the Huskies put on the Summit Tigers Saturday at Dobson Arena.-

The trophy is awarded to the winner of the first Battle Mountain-Summit County hockey game of the season, and the trophy that has not moved around too much. Battle Mountain won the trophy the first six years of its existence, but Summit County has had control the last five years, until Saturday night.

-Both teams had lost their first games of the season, and the Huskies proved to be the hungrier team. The Huskies had control of the game from the outset, and took the lead for good just four minutes in. Cody Thurston made a great move at the Summit blueline, faking a slap shot, moving closer in and putting a hard, low-wrist shot on net.- Clayton Davis pounced on the rebound and buried it for the 1-0 lead.-

The rest of the first period went back and forth with both teams having chances, and-each hitting the post.

Support Local Journalism

Although the Huskies had a 16-10 shot advantage after the first, the one-goal lead was too close for “The Yellow Line,” captain Ben Hymes, Karl Norris and Hunter Henderson – so named for the yellow jerseys they wear in practice.-

In the first minute of the middle stanza, Henderson stole the puck inside the Summit line, got the puck to Hymes, who roofed a shot over Summit goalie Reiker Edstrom for the 2-0 lead. A few minutes later, Norris got the puck in front to Henderson, who hit the crossbar, but Norris was there for the rebound and it was 3-0.-

Hymes made a great feed to Norris on the power play, Norris fired it past Reiker and it was 4-0 after the second period.

All that was left was for the Huskies to finish strong and Hymes made sure they would, taking a feed from Brian Alt, walking right through the Summit defense and deking backup goalie Wyatt Dickerson to make it 5-0.

Then it was time for a couple of Huskies to net their first high school goals. Kennedy Nary put a wrist shot from the point in, and then Garrett Funk got his first when he pounced on a rebound.-Both goals were set up by Michael Lange.

Summit got a couple of late goals, a deflection from the point and a great individual move by Sean Farley for the final score.

Rookie goaltender Oliver Elvenger got the win, turning aside 27 of 29 shots, and was solid between the pipes for the Huskies all night.

The Huskies were at Aspen on Wednesday night and go to Bishop Machebeuf Saturday at 6 p.m. at the Big Bear Ice Arena in Aurora.

Support Local Journalism