Rockies unfazed by flurry of trades
The Denver Post
The Monday night trading frenzy in the National League West created little more than shrugged shoulders from the Rockies.
The Dodgers got Jon Garland, a Rockies target, and Jim Thome, and the Giants signed Brad Penny?
So what was the prevailing vibe at Coors Field?
“I am not worried about who in the (heck) other teams got,” manager Jim Tracy said. “Our concern is who we have.”
The Rockies countered the Dodgers with similar moves, promoting former all-star slugger Jason Giambi and acquiring Jose Contreras. Contreras will receive two starting assignments, the first Saturday against the Diamondbacks. If Contreras can command his fastball, allowing him to set up his split-finger and slider, the Rockies believe
* View slide show of Rockies-Giants game Aug. 30.
* Find analysis and notes from the diamond and clubhouse on the All Things Rockies blog.
* Ask Troy E. Renck about the team or MLB in the Rockies Mailbag.
* Evaluate the latest team numbers on the Rockies Stats Page.
* Study pre-game matchups and live scoring for every MLB game.
* Follow probables, scoring logs and full-screen MLB gamecasts.
* Track standings for wild card.
* Track standings for NL and AL.
* Post photos of your team spirit.
* Swing for purple mountain majesties with HR Challenge.
he can be effective.
“The intriguing thing with regards to him is that he completely understands this time of the season. He has pitched in the World Series,” Tracy said. “I have seen this scenario play out as a positive more than once with a change of scenery. A different guy shows up.”
For more of this Denver Post story: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13249685