Second half explosion leads to Vail Mountain victory |

Second half explosion leads to Vail Mountain victory

Vail, CO Colorado
Summit Daily/Eric Drummond

FARMER’S KORNER, Colorado ” It was a tale of ten minutes for the Summit High School boy’s soccer team against Vail Mountain High School.

Tied 0-0 at halftime, the Tigers found themselves down 3-0 after ten minutes of the second half en route to a 3-1 loss.

“I think they just got down on themselves after that first goal and we have to mentally be stronger,” Summit head coach Justin Turri said.

Vail’s first goal came after a penalty was called against Summit that gave Vail a direct kick just outside the left-end of the box. Vail crossed the ball in and eventually Tony Ryerson headed the ball into the net in the 43rd minute.

“Their first goal, give all the credit to them, our defense was right with the guy who scored but he was just taller and bigger,” Turri said. “The ball was perfectly played to him and there’s not much a defense can do about that.”

Four minutes later Vail struck again off of a corner kick. Ryerson touched the ball again and off of his head put the ball just past the fingertips off Summit’s goalkeeper Ben Ferris.

Vail put the game almost out of reach with another goal less than a minute later. Off of a double-header inside the box first Ryerson touched it before Cole Graskamp headed the ball in to make the score 3-0.

“We really talked (at halftime) about playing with the principles we’ve talked about,” Vail Mountain head coach Robert Bandoni said. “Having faith with our system, playing within the system and playing disciplined within the system.”

The Tigers didn’t give-up despite the large deficit, though. Summit had plenty of opportunities to score and finally found the back of the net in the 65th minute.

After a deflection off of two Vail defenders Taylor Colvin found himself with the ball outside the top of the box. With one of the Vail defenders on the ground, Colvin passed the ball to Justin Hollenbeck who ripped a shot from just inside the box for Summit’s lone goal.

“I think by that time we just wanted to get a goal, at least I did,” Hollenbeck said. “I thought it was kind of embarrassing to be three down within ten minutes of the second half and we deserved a goal.”

Summit had plenty of chances to score goals throughout the game, but it could never seem to finish one.

In the 15th minute Vail attempted to clear a ball that ricocheted off of Hollenbeck leaving just him and the goalie, but he couldn’t come away with the ball and didn’t get a decent shot off.

Just two minutes later Vail’s goalkeeper made a diving save, but Summit caught a break when off of the ricochet Vail was called for a handball. This gave Summit a direct kick just a few yards from the goal. Summit passed the ball back off the direct kick to create some room for a shot, but couldn’t put it in.

In the 22nd minute Hunter Black made some nifty moves through the Vail defenders to give himself a chance at a goal, but his shot from the top of the box missed left.

A minute later Vail made the defensive play of the game. Hollenbeck found himself alone with the Vail goalkeeper inside the box and after a brief tangle the goalie fell down and Hollenbeck came away with the ball. Two Vail defenders recovered and stepped into the goalie’s position as Hollenbeck took a shot and one Vail defender headed it away.

Vail had an opportunity in the 36th minute off of a direct kick when it pooched the ball in and off of the rebound had a shot from inside the box, but missed it over the crossbar.

“We had a lot of good chances in the first half and we didn’t take advantage of them,” Turri said.” I thought we could have been up three nothing at halftime and we just didn’t finish and that’s been a common theme for us.”

Summit also had chances in the second half that it didn’t take advantage of, despite falling down 3-0.

With 13 minutes to go Black dribbled down the right side and got a cross off that Hollenbeck headed over the crossbar.

With nine minutes to go Hollenbeck received another cross, but this time headed it right into the goalkeeper’s hands.

Summit’s last real chance to score came with under five minutes to go when Turner Colvin had a direct kick from just outside the box that he sent into the crossbar.

Summit was almost always on the attack outside of the very beginning of the second half.

“I thought they put enough pressure on us that we had a difficult time holding possession in the middle of the field,” Bandoni said. “We eventually found a rhythm and it carried us.”

The loss takes Summit to 0-3 on the year with its next home game coming at 6 p.m. Tuesday against Glenwood Springs.

Jonathan Batuello can be reached at (970) 668-4653 or

Support Local Journalism