Tedstrom golden for Huskies in overtime | VailDaily.com

Tedstrom golden for Huskies in overtime

Jeff Casperson
Vail, CO Colorado
Kelley Cox Post Independent

GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colorado – Connor Tedstrom begged his coach to move him from defense to forward.

No player typically has the kind of pull with Battle Mountain coach David Cope to make something like that happen, but the Huskies were in need of a jolt.

Eighty-five minutes of soccer – 80 in regulation and five in overtime – had yet to yield a goal against 4A Slope rival Glenwood Springs.

So, as the Huskies readied for the second five-minute overtime at Stubler Memorial Field on Tuesday, the coach decided to give Tedstrom’s idea a whirl.

Good decision.

Not quite two minutes into the second five-minute overtime, Tedstrom found himself with the ball and space to shoot. From just inside the 18-yard box, the senior booted a sharp roller past Demons goalkeeper Carson Wilde.

“I was frustrated. We couldn’t buy a goal,” said Tedstrom, whose golden score delivered Battle Mountain a 1-0 win on Glenwood’s home pitch. “I told Cope to put me in at forward. I was just really frustrated with the lack of scoring. …-I got the ball at the top of the 18 and it just seemed like people parted. I put it in the far low post.”

In shifting Tedstrom from the back to the front, Cope said he simply followed a gut feeling.

“Sometimes in sports, you just have a feeling,” the coach said. “It was serendipitous, him wanting me to put him in and him doing exactly what he predicted he’d do.”

And so the Huskies improved to 6-1-2 overall and to 4-0-2 in the 4A WSL. Eagle Valley leads the league at 5-0-1 after a 12-0 pasting of Moffat County. At 3-0-3, Steamboat Springs is also thick in the mix of what’s been a zany, draw-filled chase for the league crown.

“This game was pivotal in the league standings,” Tedstrom said. “It was huge for us to come out with a win.”

The Demons dropped to 4-2-3 overall and to 2-2-2 with the loss.

“The kids have nothing to hang their heads about,” Glenwood coach John Mount said. “That’s a top-10 team on the Western Slope. To hang with those guys is a compliment to our program.”

Mount’s Demons had their chances.

There was a Sydney Van Horn goal that was called back because of a penalty in the 60th minute. Van Horn and Battle Mountain goalkeeper Clint Hervert collided in mid-air in attempt to win possession of a long free kick. The ball trickled across the line behind the collision, but the officials quickly called off the goal.

“Apparently it was a stripped ball from the keeper’s hands,” Mount said. “It was a scrum play.”

And then there was a Ryan Buchanan breakaway in the 78th minute. Using his speed, the Glenwood junior found a sliver of separation as he sprinted up the left flat. But Hervert, like he did seven other times on Tuesday night, made the stop.

Hervert delivered a clutch save in the first overtime, too, shrewdly charging a run by the Demons’ Danny Weller, who had taken a long pass from teammate Travis Whitman and sped in for a one-on-one opportunity. Hervert slid out to kick the ball out of harm’s way.

“I would have to say the man of the match was Clint Hervert,” Cope lauded. “He was phenomenal.”

Considering Tedstrom’s golden-goal heroics, that’s high praise.

Next up for Cope and the Huskies is a Thursday home date with Palisade at 6 p.m.

Support Local Journalism