Vail cycling: Five teams added for Quiznos race
DENVER – The Quiznos Pro Challenge announced Tuesday five new teams are confirmed to compete in the inaugural 2011 competition, including Pro Team Leopard Trek (Luxembourg), UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling Team (USA), Team Type 1-sanofi aventis (USA), Skil-Shimano (Netherlands) and Team Spidertech Powered By C10 (Canada).
These teams will join previously announced Team RadioShack (USA), HTC-Highroad (USA), Team Garmin-Cervelo (USA), BMC Racing Team (USA) and Liquigas-Cannondale (Italy) at the starting line in August.
“We are excited to have secured commitments from such world-class teams in the competition’s first year,” said Shawn Hunter, co-chairman of the Quiznos Pro Challenge. “We’ve set high goals for this race, and the addition of these teams shows great promise for our future and cycling in the United States.”
The newly announced teams include some of the most exciting riders in the world, including Olympic gold-medalist Fabian Cancellara (Switzerland), seasoned veteran Stuart O’Grady (Australia), and 2008 World Cycling Championships silver-medalist Svein Tuft (Canada). In total, the Quiznos Pro Challenge will host as many as 128 professional cyclists from 16 teams for the 2011 competition. The specific riders who will participate in the Quiznos Pro Challenge will be named in the coming months.
A look at the new teams:
• Leopard Trek – There are 11 nations represented on the roster. Cancellara, 2010 Mountains Classification Tour Down Under winner Thomas Rohregger (Austria), and O’Grady highlight this diverse group.
• UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling Team – UnitedHealthcare’s prominent past includes becoming the No. 1 team in North America in its second year, then defending the title for five consecutive years. In 2005, the team produced the single greatest season in North American cycling history, winning half of all National Racing Calendar (NRC) competitions.
• Team Type 1-sanofi aventis – Team Type 1 is the world’s only professional cycling team with a roster that includes riders who have Type 1 diabetes. In two seasons, the squad has registered 100 victories and 219 podium (top three) finishes.
• Skil-Shimano – The team features Koen de Kort (Holland), who finished ninth overall in the 2010 Tour of Britain; 2010 Tour de Normandie champion Ronan van Zandbeek (Holland); 2009 German road race champion Martin Reimer (Germany) and 2008 Olympic silver medal winner at the Omnium Roger Kluge (Germany).
• Team Spidertech Powered By C10 – The 2011 roster boasts 19 world-class riders including 2010 Canadian Road Champion Will Routley (Canada), 2008 World Cycling Championships silver medalist and 2010 Eneco Tour prologue winner Svein Tuft (Canada), and Lucas Euser (USA).
The 2011 Quiznos Pro Challenge is Aug. 22-28, and will go through Eagle County.
Support Local Journalism
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User