Back pain mistakes and back-friendly advice
August 15, 2016
Exercise is a great way to manage many kinds of back pain. Just make sure you're doing it right!
Mistake: Jumping into exercise can aggravate pain.
Fix: Warm up a little longer. Ease into physical activity.
Mistake: If abdominal crunches alone make up your strength routine, a weak back may accompany your six-pack.
Fix: Support your back with strong muscles in the stomach, hips, and thighs. Visit the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (aaos.org) and search for "low back pain exercise guide."
Recommended Stories For You
Mistake: Do you hop off the treadmill and into the shower? You're missing the best part.
Fix: Take ample time to stretch when your muscles are warm. You'll improve elasticity in tight areas.
Brought to you by Kaiser Permanente
Trending In: Thrive
- Former Vail Valley arts patron Alberto Vilar trying to enjoy what’s left of his life after 10-year prison stint
- Loveland man dies in East Vail crash. No one else injured in Sunday evening accident
- Town of Vail likely to change short-term rental regulations in response to complaints
- Comedians Steve Martin and Martin Short to perform at Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater in Vail
- Full Vail Snow Days lineup announced