Back pain mistakes and back-friendly advice
August 15, 2016
Exercise is a great way to manage many kinds of back pain. Just make sure you're doing it right!
Mistake: Jumping into exercise can aggravate pain.
Fix: Warm up a little longer. Ease into physical activity.
Mistake: If abdominal crunches alone make up your strength routine, a weak back may accompany your six-pack.
Fix: Support your back with strong muscles in the stomach, hips, and thighs. Visit the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (aaos.org) and search for "low back pain exercise guide."
Recommended Stories For You
Mistake: Do you hop off the treadmill and into the shower? You're missing the best part.
Fix: Take ample time to stretch when your muscles are warm. You'll improve elasticity in tight areas.
Brought to you by Kaiser Permanente
Trending In: Thrive
- Brothers arrested in Garfield, Eagle drug trafficking ring
- Runoff has already peaked from Vail Valley-area rivers; there’s concern for summer
- In fight with rare cancer CIC-DUX4, Campbell Sullivan just wants to ski
- Vail Valley’s 2018 graduating seniors: a salute
- Minturn’s 5,000-gallon-a-day water loss in the Union Pacific mobile home park (letter)