Back pain mistakes and back-friendly advice
August 15, 2016
Exercise is a great way to manage many kinds of back pain. Just make sure you're doing it right!
Mistake: Jumping into exercise can aggravate pain.
Fix: Warm up a little longer. Ease into physical activity.
Mistake: If abdominal crunches alone make up your strength routine, a weak back may accompany your six-pack.
Fix: Support your back with strong muscles in the stomach, hips, and thighs. Visit the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (aaos.org) and search for "low back pain exercise guide."
Recommended Stories For You
Mistake: Do you hop off the treadmill and into the shower? You're missing the best part.
Fix: Take ample time to stretch when your muscles are warm. You'll improve elasticity in tight areas.
Brought to you by Kaiser Permanente
Trending In: Thrive
- Colorado’s mom-and-pop ski areas are slipping away
- I-70 standoff suspect allegedly stabbed ‘good Samaritan’
- Glenwood Springs rattled by earthquakes early Tuesday morning
- Does cannabis cost, or pay? CCU study claims marijuana costs $4.50 for every $1 it generates
- Jury convicts former Lake County undersheriff Fernando Mendoza guilty of aggravated incest