Accused Vail shoplifters back in court; pair allegedly stashed $20,000 of stolen stuff in their rented economy car
July 30, 2018
VAIL — Two men charged with theft allegedly stole more than $20,000 in merchandise from luxury shops in Vail and then got caught when they stashed it in a rented economy car.
Alan Badasack Phongboupha, 27, of Thornton, made his first appearance Monday, July 30, before District Court Judge Russell Granger. He is charged with second-degree burglary, theft, criminal impersonation and criminal possession of identification. He did not enter a plea and is scheduled to be back before Granger for a Monday, Aug. 27, hearing.
Bounkhong Phongboupha, 39, of Pinole, California, was with Alan during the alleged crime spree and is scheduled to appear Wednesday, Aug. 8, before District Court Judge Paul Dunkelman on identical charges.
What police say happened
Just before 5 p.m. Sunday, March 4, Vail Police received a shoplifting report from the Tommy Bowers Ski Shop in the Solaris Plaza in Vail Village. Store staffers said two men stole $1,000 worth of merchandise.
Police soon learned that two men had been targeting high-end retail stores, allegedly stealing ski apparel and accessories and storing the stolen items in their vehicle, a white Kia Soul.
Recommended Stories For You
After the suspects were identified by the store employees, Vail Police officers spotted the vehicle and conducted a traffic stop.
Vail Police say they suspect the two men stole more than $20,000 worth of items from multiple other locations. Police are working to identify those retailers.
The alleged thieves had pretty good taste, reportedly targeting luxury brands including Altrec clothing, Garmin electronics, North Face clothing and accessories, Arc'teryx clothing and Kjus ski clothing.
Staff Writer Randy Wyrick can be reached at 970-748-2935 and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Crime
- Alleged murderer pleads not guilty; October trial set for Jacob White, Catherine Kelley’s alleged killer
- Avon woman stabbed five times, suspect spotted with blood on his hands, pool of blood outside his door, police say
- Accused Sno-Cat stealer makes first Eagle County court appearance. Four counties want a piece of Jason Cuervo
- Alleged Avon stabber Andrew Young’s prelim set for October; he remains in jail on $2 million bond in knife attack case
- Alleged Lake Christine culprits get two-week reprieve. Bond hearing for Marcus, Miller, postponed until Aug. 14
- Vail Valley entrepreneur launches bikes into a new niche in the e-bike world
- Hardscrabble Ranch plan, and name change options, will be unveiled Wednesday night, Sept. 19
- Accused murderer Jacob White scheduled to plead and be sentenced Friday, Sept. 21, in Catherine Kelley case
- Eagle County Open Space celebrates new motocross park in Gypsum
- Vail Valley boy suffers only minor injuries after colliding with food truck