Children spark treehouse blaze while playing Tuesday
GYPSUM — Because heat and flames rise, two kids found themselves in a really bad spot Tuesday when their treehouse caught fire.
The two juveniles sparked the fire when they were playing with a lighter, said Justin Kirkland, Gypsum fire chief.
Fire fighters were called at around 5:20 p.m. on Tuesday when smoke was reported on Rangeview Drive in Gypsum.
Crews arrived moments later to find a treehouse completely engulfed in flames. The smoke could be seen all the way to Eagle.
Because the large, well-built tree house was close to other houses and sheds, the four Gypsum firefighters who initially responded moved quickly to knock it down and kept it from spreading.
“It was fortunate that we had volunteers at the station today. That’s not always the case, but it definitely made a difference today,” Kirkland said.
Gypsum Fire Protection District was assisted in this incident by Vail Public Safety Communications Center, Greater Eagle Fire Protection District, Eagle County Paramedic Services and the Eagle County Sheriff’s Office.
Staff Writer Randy Wyrick can be reached at 970-748-2935 and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Are we seeing more bears because there are more bears on the valley floor, or because we’re all spending more time at home? It could be a bit of both.