Time Machine | VailDaily.com

Time Machine

Carpenters complete final touches at the Eagel School Building. In 1914, voters apprved a $19,300 bond issue for a new two-story schoolhouse. By the fall of 1915, the lower flow of the buign was ready for occupancy.
Photos courtesy Eagel Valley Library District and Eagle County Historical Society |

1 year ago

Week of May 29, 2014

Eagle resident Chuck Hair formally challenged the referendum petitions submitted by citizens calling for a vote regarding the proposed Haymeadow development. A June 6 hearing was scheduled before retired judge Sheryl Post to determine if the petition drive process was valid.

Eagle announced plans to build a new boat ramp at Chambers Park.

Lauren Magdaleno was the valedictorian and Trevor Borasio was the salutatorian for the Eagle Valley High School Class of 2014.

5 years ago

Week of May 27, 2010

After months of discussion and many responses submitted in a contest, Eagle announced its new community slogan would be “Classic Colorado.”

The town of Gypsum completed its annexation of the Eagle County Regional Airport property. The action cleared the way for the High Altitude Army Aviation Training Site to begin planning for an expansion.

Eagle native Dale Starr was named head volleyball coach at Robert Morris University in Moon Township, Pa.

The Eagle Flight Days Committee announced “Under the Sea” was the theme for the 2005 celebration.

10 years ago

Week of May 26, 2005

The town of Eagle considered a series of traffic improvements to be completed over the coming five to 10 years. The Eby Creek Road corridor was the focus of much of the town’s study.

Eagle Valley High School’s Brad Gamble won the gold at the Colorado State Track meet in the 300-meter hurdles. Jacob Rivera finished second in the shot put.

EVHS baseball player Andy Johnson was named to the 4A Western Slope All Conference team. Cody Commerford received honorable mention in the all conference balloting.

Jessica Medsker was the valedictorian and Kristen Fawcett was the salutatorian for the EVHS Class of 2005.

20 years ago

Week of May 25, 1995

The Eagle Town Board pledged $95,000 to build a new library in town. The library district had been looking at sites in both Eagle and Gypsum and the $95,000 donation was earmarked to help the district purchase the site where the Eagle Valley Medical Clinic was located, adjacent to the existing Eagle library building.

The Brush Creek Saloon reopened with new owners, Ron and Sandy Pirnie. The bar had been closed after its liquor license was suspended.

Adam’s Rib developers took their revised plan back to the Eagle County commissioners. Meanwhile the Concerned Citizens of Eagle County, a group that opposed the development, pursued a lawsuit that challenged the county’s decision to extend the sketch plan approval for Adam’s Rib.

Eagle County officials pursued a county run terminal at the airport.

When Eagle Mayor Bill Cunningham found a $20 bill during the annual town clean-up day, he treated his fellow volunteers to some cold beers after they finished their work.

30 years ago

Week of May 30, 1985

Eagle Recreation Director Ray Tencza performed the inaugural bellyflop off the diving board during the grand opening of the new town pool, located next to Eagle Valley Middle School.

The U.S. Postal Service proceeded with plans for a new post office located along Chambers Avenue in Eagle.

Cindy Jones and Chris Jarnot were the valedictorians of the EVHS Class of 1985.

40 years ago

Week of May 22, 1975

Eagle resident Ernie Nogal celebrated his 90th birthday. He was born in a cabin near the mouth of Brush Creek in 1885 and had worked as a mailman at Fulford.

Eagle County School District hired its first-ever business manager, Larry Luttrell.

The Eagle County commissioners denied a plan for formation of a hospital taxing district for Valley View Hospital in Glenwood Springs.

Garnett and Leonard Ping of Eagle reported that a young bear was prowling around their home, located along Capitol Street.

A marriage license was issued to Susan Heather Reed of Gypsum and Charles Kraemer of Gypsum.

Janice Thompson and Morgan Lee were queen and king of the EVHS prom.

50 years ago

Week of May 27, 1965

Despite suffering from an injured knee, EVHS track team member Gene Slaughter won the high jump event at the state track meet. He also took fourth in the triple jump.

Kevin Norman was honored with a State Farmer Degree by the Future Farmers of America.

Local 4-H’er Kathy Schmidt was selected to attend the annual Citizenship Short Course in Washington D.C.

After a short bout of summer weather, the valley was hit with heavy rains and some snow in the surrounding hills.

The U.S. Bureau of Land Management awarded a contract for construction of a public campground on land immediately west of Gypsum. The campground was the only facility of its kind to be built on public lands in Colorado.

60 years ago

Week of June 2, 1955

A middle-of-the-night fire of undetermined origin caused considerable damage to the Carlow Pool Hall and Eagle Liquor Store in downtown Eagle. A mud clogged fire hose slowed down efforts by volunteer firefighters to extinguish the blaze. Stanley’s Cash Grocery, located next door, suffered smoke damage.

Road construction was under way on Castle Peak, where a California-based company planned oil exploration efforts.

70 years ago

Week of June 1, 1945

The hospital at Camp Hale was treating war veterans who were suffering from malaria.

Sgt. Jim Nimon was stationed in Munich, Germany. He reported that allied bombers had destroyed nearly every home in the city.

Second Lt. Jack Oleson was on leave from his Arizona air base.

Radium resident Bill Foster was expected home soon after his three years of overseas service.

80 years ago

Week of May 21, 1935

No one was seriously injured when a car loaded with women and children plunged off Gore Creek Hill in Minturn and fell 75 feet down into the Eagle River. The group had attended an American Legion poppy rally prior to the accident

Red Cliff voters overwhelmingly approved a $16,000 bond issue to build a “modern new school.” Plans for the new building included a gymnasium and an auditorium.