Cops: Mobile home explosion was failed suicide attempt
GRAND JUNCTION, Colorado ” Palisade police now say an early-morning explosion and fire at a mobile home was a suicide attempt gone wrong.
Fire crews responded to the blast at about 4:30 a.m. Wednesday after receiving several emergency calls.
Police Chief Carroll Quarles says the 61-year-old resident of the trailer home had tried to asphyxiate himself by ripping a natural gas line away from a heater or stove, but something ignited the fumes and triggered the explosion.
Pieces of the trailer were scattered across the mobile home park, but the man who lived inside suffered only some minor burns and singed hair.
No one else was hurt.
Police Sergeant Bobby Fowler says the man who tried to commit suicide could face arson charges.