Vail has $5,500 worth of e-bike rebates to distribute by end of 2023
Since its launch, the program has issued 32 rebates equaling $9,500.
In May 2023, the town of Vail rolled out an e-bike rebate program meant to make ownership of e-bikes more accessible to its residents and employees.
Since its launch, the program has issued 32 rebates equaling $9,500. Another $5,500 remains to be distributed before the end of the year.
Transportation is the second leading source of greenhouse gas emissions in Eagle County and in the town of Vail. The Climate Action Plan for Eagle County establishes goals to reduce these emissions by 25% by 2025, 50% by 2030 and 80% by 2050. Vail adopted this plan in 2018.
The Climate Action Collaborative for the Eagle County Community has identified several strategies to help achieve these goals including reducing single occupancy vehicle commute trips by getting people out of their cars twice per week and implementing multi-modal transportation options including micro-mobility solutions such as e-bikes.
Residents and town employees who receive the rebate must agree to use the e-bike as a means of transportation to replace vehicle miles.
Support Local Journalism
The town has different tiers and qualifications for its rebates. The main two tiers are as follows:
- Residents who purchase an e-bike from a Vail Retailer are eligible for a $300 rebate
- Residents who purchase an e-bike outside of the town of Vail are eligible for a $200 rebate
The low-to-moderate income rebate is meant for applicants who make 80% of the area median income or less — which is currently $62,650 or less. The three tiers in this rebate are as follows:
- For residents earning between 61% to 80% AMI(or $47,001 to $62,650), e-bike purchases are eligible for a $300 rebate
- For residents earning between 41% to 60% AMI(or ($32,001 to $47,000), e-bike purchases are eligible for a $400 rebate
- For residents earning 40% or less of the average median income(or ($32,000 or less), e-bike purchases are eligible for a $500 rebate
These rebates will be available for e-bike purchases made after Jan. 1, 2023, with a limit of two rebates per household. The total rebate amount cannot exceed 50% of the bike’s purchase price.
Additional e-bike rebates are available locally and by the state, including a $50 rebate for Holy Cross Energy members as well as rebates for income-qualified residents from the state’s energy office.
For more information on Vail’s E-Bike Rebate Program, contact Katherine Blocker, the town’s environmental sustainability administrative assistant, at 970-479-2211 or firstname.lastname@example.org.