Letter: Name-calling means you lost the argument
January 8, 2018
One of the surest signs that you are winning an argument is when your opponent resorts to calling you names. In her recent letter to the editor, Mary Blair asserts that there is no financial crisis in Eagle-Vail. As far as the property owners association goes, she is correct. The present board rightly saw that the property owners association was paying far more than was necessary for management services and, in accordance with their fiduciary duty, replaced their existing management.
Unfortunately, Eagle-Vail has a Metro District that is carrying a structural deficit of $500,000 per year (conservative estimate). No meaningful effort has been made to address this through reducing administrative costs that many think could be sharply reduced. As an example, their district manager's base salary is higher than that of Colorado's governor. No effort has gone into increasing revenues from those assets currently managed by the district manager staff.
That the current human resources committee has rubber-stamped the current salary structure is no recommendation to continue down the same road. That staff's responsibilities have been halved. Mr. Lance Richards is part of this group.
As a consequence, an increase in the district operating mil levy has been frequently discussed in Eagle-Vail finance committee meetings. Mrs. Blair is apparently unaware of all this or simply dismisses it. So in accordance with the principle that I referenced above, I must thank Mrs. Blair for acknowledging that they are correct by calling her opponents malcontents.
Please reelect to the property owners association board Steve Daniels, Jake Jacobson and Judd Watts. Reward results.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Eagle County Sheriff: When it comes to teen suicide, the sound of silence is deadly (column)
- Vail Daily letter: White genocide nearly imminent in South Africa
- Town of Eagle exceeding authority in approving developments, building water plant (letter)
- How do we get to No. 1 again in Ski magazine resort rankings? Teamwork (letter)
- Wissot: We’ve got to do something about school shootings, but you know we won’t (column)
- San Diego man allegedly zip-tied his girlfriend, tried to strangle her in Vail lodge, faces attempted murder
- Edwards murder suspects want separate trials, prosecutors want them tried together
- Florida man’s lost ashes claimed by friend who’ll spread them in Vail’s Back Bowls
- After Lindsey Vonn falters, snowboarder Ester Ledecka pulls off stunning win
- Ledecka wins? What the fudge happened?